Salary: depending on experience
Term: 1 year (with the possibility to be extended)
Starting date: October 1st, 2019
Nesta Italia is seeking a Researcher with expertise in the education area.
This is a key member of the team and will assist the Head of Programmes and the Project Manager in delivering high quality research projects and in supporting the main programmes of the foundation with an activity of research and analysis. Knowledge in at least one of the other organisation’s key areas of work (i.e. health and ageing, arts and culture, inclusion and emerging technologies) is desirable.
You will work on a pilot programme implemented in partnership with a technological partner in 6 countries (Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Romania, Greece and Russia), which will last for one year. Goal of the project is to increase the demand for Computer Science (CS) courses – especially from girls and underserved youth – by empowering NGOs, involving teachers in school experiments, strengthening their digital skills, and ultimately giving students the chance to experience new ways of learning through digital resources and CS-based activities.
You will also contribute to other projects of research, as well as more practical initiatives (see here the list for 2019), in which an analytical approach is essential in order to understand how to design the programmes, adjust them and maximise the impact of our action.
Our dissemination activities (e.g. events, blog posts) will be informed by the research findings, lessons learnt and best practices collected and analysed thanks to the activity of research. The ability to communicate and engage with different audiences is therefore essential.
You will conduct the research work under the supervision of the Head of Programmes and in collaboration with the rest of the Nesta Italia team. You will have regular interactions with the Nesta team, as well as conduct research projects together with other partners.
You will master qualitative research methods and have a good knowledge of social innovation, technology and system innovation. You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills both in Italian and English. A good knowledge of quantitative research methods is a plus.
Nesta Italia is a startup, therefore you will be involved in different research projects and aspects of the foundation’s activity such as market research, communication and programmes. The ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously is therefore essential.
The Researcher will:
- Conduct desk research of the existing literature, plus synthesis and summary of this material
- Lead primary research through interviews, plus data collection from other sources
- Liaise and communicate with internal and external stakeholders of the project
- Work with the team to design and facilitate the workshops to be organised before and after the launch of the report
- Analyse the collected research, enabling insightful conclusions and clear recommendations
- Communicate these conclusions in a clear and engaging way, tailored for different audiences and presented through different channels (e.g. written reports, events, blog posts, social media).
The ideal candidate will bring (essential):
- Relevant academic qualification, or professional research experience within an academic environment, think-tank, or similar
- A good knowledge of the education sector and its trends (e.g. teaching methods, impact of technology). Experience in CS related topic is a plus
- A keen interest in social innovation, system innovation and technology
- Excellent research skills, with experience of qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Good interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with a diverse, high-performing, busy team
- Good organisational skills, including the ability to research and work independently, and juggle multiple tasks and topics simultaneously
- Demonstrable evidence of good written and verbal communication skills in both English and Italian
- Good IT Skills (including Microsoft Word, PowerPoint & Excel, using the web for research and using social media).
- Knowledge of at least another Nesta Italia’s area of work (health and ageing, arts and culture, inclusion, emerging technologies)
- Experience of running workshops, roundtables, public speaking, engaging audiences through blog posts or other social media
- Experience in conducting quantitative research.
About Nesta Italia
Nesta Italia is an innovation foundation.
Nesta Italia supports innovation in education; health and ageing; and the arts and cultural heritage – using Nesta’s proven innovation methods to encourage social innovation in Italy and shape the communities of the future
Nesta Italia uses its knowledge, networks, funding and skills – working in partnership with others across Italy, including governments, businesses and charities.
Nesta Italia is a startup, therefore we are looking for passionate and entrepreneurial people who can contribute to the foundation’s growth, maximising its positive impact.
How to Apply
Please complete this test in all its fields by 12:00 PM on Tuesday 23rd July.
The first round of interviews will take place on the first week of September 2019.
The second round on the second week of September 2019.